Tuesday, September 29, 2009

From Donny Hornstein

I first met Willie via email when we were car pooled together for our New Warrior Training.

I noticed in his email header (I'm a geek, what can I say) he was using Apple software so I wrote him back and congratulated him on his choice. He wrote back saying he had a Powerbook and "It's the bomb!" I, living such a sheltered life, had never heard the term "It's the bomb!" before and had to have him explain it. That was December of 2000. So, my first exposure to Willie and the term (which I may have used once since then.)

We did our weekend NWTA together and the rest, as they say is history.

In the nearly nine years since, I've loved him, been mad at him, been sad for him/me and afraid only when he was in the bad car accident a few years ago with his brother, David.

I remember being in the Apple Store on Knox St. when he called me to tell me his Mom had passed. I felt honored and a real part of him and his family to have been chosen for that phone call.

Willie has introduced me to quite a few folks I now call friends on my own. When I think of Willie, I usually think of how self assured he always seems with me, and that big shit eating grin of his. I'm amazed, nine years later to find out little things about him I haven't known before. Like at Michael and Meta Newhouse's party where it occurred to me he doesn't really drink alcoholic beverages much.

Willie is one of three men from Dallas who I felt close enough to to invite to my wedding. He suffered with me through my divorce.

He's easily, even without a job and running a company the busiest guy I know. Once upon a time, I thought he was so busy, if I really needed him for an emergency or major event, he wouldn't be there unless I got on his calendar first. I've since come to believe he would be there for sure if I tell him I really need him.

He's a good friend; and brother. On this celebration of five decades on Mother Earth, I wish you joy, happiness, peace and love. Have a great 50th broheem (another term I learned from Willie); you deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment