Sunday, October 11, 2009

From Patty, Paul and Buzz Jerde

Willie,
I've known you for a long time - you and your ponytail even came to our wedding in 1997 - but I didn't really KNOW you until Paul had his accident. You were at the hospital the day you found out about the accident and it feels like you never left. Literally, you were there every single day for the first two two months, and your daily arrival, with your relentless, positive energy always seemed to come just at the moment that I needed it most. Your involvement in our lives after Paul's accident literally has given his recovery an added dimension that would not have been there. You pushed me to put news about Paul out on the blog, something I was initially a little uncomfortable with but, ultimately, one of the best things I could have ever done. You were so great, taking on whatever role was needed at that particular time... security, screener of visitors, IT guy, barber, therapist (mine), illustrator, slideshow presenter, documentary filmmaker, friend of Mr. Squeaky's (sounds much worse than it is), motivator, photographer, and, most importantly, listener.

Here we are, 16 months later, and you are still as present and involved as you were from that first day, which shows me what an incredible friend you are to Paul. You have single-handedly kept Paul in the men's group - even bringing the men's group to him when he was in Anna. You were with us on our first outings in Anna (which was a scary time as we didn't really know how Paul would react or what he was thinking), and you have even involved Paul once again in his Saturday morning basketball. Although he doesn't play, you pick him up and take him there and help him shoot baskets and get some exercise and reconnect with the outside world. Most importantly though, you continue to remind him of his talents as an artist and graphic designer and even had him design the graphic for the Warrior retreat T-shirt. Seeing Paul at the computer again, designing, was a beautiful site to me.

Willie, you have been and continue to be so instrumental in helping us make Paul whole again. I get so caught up in the everydayness and you come in and suddenly you've got Paul doing something that I didn't know was possible and I am seeing sides of him that I was afraid we had lost. You truly have a gift of guiding people, in a very non-intrusive way, to accomplish things they didn't even know they were capable of doing. You did it for Paul before the accident and you've done it many times since for both me and Paul. Paul, Buzz, and I are so lucky, and happy, to have you in our lives. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and that you retain your zest for life for many, many, many years to come! We love you!

Patty, Paul, and Buzz



No comments:

Post a Comment