Saturday, October 10, 2009

From David Garrison

Willie,
You are truly a man among the best of men and a friend among the truest of friends.

Lots of things I could share but just a few memories from college days:

We first met in Culture of Man class back at USL (aka U of Slow Learners) and lived together with some other guys in that run-down Antebellum home on South Washington. Did we live high on the hog! Chicken pot pies for dinner & fried biscuits with powdered sugar for desert. Slept together to stay warm during the winter (you’re still the “boniest” bed partner I’ve had the pleasure to spoon). We eventually moved to even “plusher” digs on St. Landry (with Danny, Leroy the cat, et al). Just remember it being a great time with lots of laughter, practical jokes, and philosophical discussions.

One of the things in you, that I was (and still am) most struck by was your shockingly unselfconscious approach to dealing with everyone (from college professors to beautiful girls, both of whom I was petrified by at the time).

I remember you going through a period where you chewed tobacco or dipped Copenhagen constantly. One day, your jaw puffed out with a chaw, you spat into that disgusting cup you carried everywhere and then gave your cute girlfriend a deep (and obviously wet) kiss. Her, rather than pushing you away, actually seemed to like (love?) it. Me, reserved and polite with girls, thought “WTF??? What does he know that I don’t?”

You were always so open about sex, bodily functions and other subjects that most people either shied away from or treated with superficial juvenile humor. Your approach was direct & graphic. Shocking to me but also VERY funny! Looking back I think just one way (among many that you are so amazingly good at) of breaking down barriers and making everyone feel more human and connected.

E.G., you were always ready to call out anyone that tried to hide a fart. You’d chastise them and then give your pronouncement on their stink level. Finally, you’d unabashedly fart yourself (do you still have the ability to do this at will?) and brag about your relative stench (in my book, you’re still the champ!).

To paraphrase some of the best advice I’ve ever had:
“True love is when your lover (or friend) lets out a really smelly fart in the car and you’re ok leaving the windows up.” -Willie Baronet

Truer words never spoken.

Willie, I believe your willingness to be with others exactly as they are is a big part of why people are drawn to you. Among many other things you’ve given me, you have been a HUGE model for me in my desire to be more loving & accepting of myself and others. Thank you.

Have a GREAT 50th, Willie.

Your friend,
David

Art Project - 1979


Willie and Leroy - 1979

Halloween - 1980

David and Jodie's Wedding - 2007

David and Jodie's Wedding - 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment