Saturday, October 10, 2009

From Sage Parker-Lang

Willie,
I remember so clearly walking into The Dallas Ad agency Kanape and Kanape in 1989 (though my memory isn't good enough now to know if I even spelled it correctly!!). I was there by the good graces of our dear friend Laurie McManus, who knew I needed a job at the time and knew I wasn't exactly happy about it. I was convinced that doing anything outside of my "Bliss" (acting) was going to make me miserable. Having already acted in about 100 commercials...I really didn't want to know about the "otherside" of the commercial process...even grateful, and knowing Laurie's would be there I was...in short...a "snob".

Then I met you, Willie, this great beam of light. Completely un-jaded, enthusiastic, curious and energetic. A ball of the most pure kind of creativity. I had more terrific conversations with you in that break room than with nearly any actor I ever worked with. You reminded me about the very essence of it...staying connected, being curious about well...everything! About the power not just the support of our community but of the creative juice you can find in it in the day to day.

I treasured my "lessons" everyday...and you had NO idea. I ended up looking forward to going in everyday to that job. In my short time there and with you I stopped looking at my time there as an "ending" but as a "beginning". I'm sure you thought those breaks were just about eating someone's leftover birthday cake and gossiping about the latest news. But I always came away with some "gem" of Willie wisdom.

I did start my life over and Willie, I just want to let you know that my time with you is ALWAYS important...though we rarely get the chance to spend it together. I never come away without learning something new or looking at things in a new way. The fact that you could get me up and running with a "blog" is a miracle in itself. Oddly enough that Blog has now led me to work I never dreamed of, just as my last job ended. SO again, thank-you Willie for all you do, often unknowingly, as well as your very conscious creativity.

I send my love and the Best Birthday wishes ever.
xo
sage

No comments:

Post a Comment