Friday, October 9, 2009

From Greg Metz

Willie walked into my class for the first time several semesters ago and I knew there was some affiliation of spirit. I think that happens often with Willie. When the students presented their first project ideas, he presented his homeless signs as materials to work with. Skeptical as I was I encouraged him and our dialogue began. I soon learned he was very serious about his work. And he had a great design sense not to mention an eager open mind.

His next two projects were were taking a material to its limit. He really processed the process with his experimental obsessiveness - and nonchalantly in his ‘Willie' way.

The homeless rope has been a reoccurring knot to work out in his progressive commitment and a point of our continuing dialogue about various relevant solutions. I am his devils advocate and he is continually responsive to the demands for resolution with a healthy attitude and confidence that is not afraid to find itself.

Although we have never had that lunch or happy hour we keep talking about, I feel as much like a friend and colleague as the mentor role I supposedly play. I watch as he plays a mentoring role for others without appearing such. That is Willie.

A lot of people look up to Willie. But size alone is not the only reason! If I have one complaint of Willie outside of his prostituting the homeless:) it is that he posts the worst pictures of me, and when I complain - he smiles with that look, that it has nothing to do with his photography skills. On the Nasher video - Willie, you will need a consent form signed before that can ever be made public!

Even though he has now turned 50, I have no doubt we will continue to hear from Willie from posts to podium to artist.

Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment