Thursday, October 8, 2009

From Wayne Geyer

Willie,
So, here's the funny thing: We've known each other (or at least known OF each other) for more than fifteen years -- since I was in school at UNT around 1992. But we really haven't worked together on too many projects or spent a lot of time hanging out. Still, it's like the movie "It's a Wonderful Life." You might not have been aware of it, but you've touched my life in some very meaningful ways.

We first met when you and (I think) Alan Weaver looked at my portfolio at a DSVC Job Fair. You were working for Susan Knape. I don't remember the critique being too harsh or too mild. I just remember respecting the hell out of your work. Not sure whether this meeting influenced my career too much -- except that I'm sure I dropped your name at every interview after that. "Willie Baronet didn't trash my work. So there's that."

Flash forward to the spring of 1998. I left Brainstorm and decided to freelance -- and to switch to copywriting. One of the first people to hire me as a writer (not a designer) was Jonathan Ingram. After that, I did projects with Sarah, Bronson and Meta. Somewhere along the way, Meta and I started jogging together in the mornings before work. Later, I introduced Meta to my (then) girlfriend Kelli. They ran the Turkey Trot together the day they met. Today, Meta is one of my best friends in the world (Kelli's, too) -- and we can't even remember exactly how we met. But without my relationship with GroupBaronet, it might not have happened at all.

At the same time I was working and jogging with Meta, I was meeting with Michael and a small group of guys to talk about freelancing and self-promotion. Forget the fact that it helped my business tremendously -- it was an opportunity to get to know Michael. He's an amazing dude, and another person that I count among my closest friends. Kelli and I (and even Landry) have visited them in Montana. They're like family.

Those are pretty big things, and pretty specific. But in general, you've impacted so many lives just by being the guy you are. You've inspired me to spend more time playing the guitar (even though I still don't do it enough). You've inspired me to identify passions and to pursue them. And I know that you've served as an example to legions of employees, professional acquaintances and friends.

Yet I think I can count on one hand the times we've even shared a cup of coffee.

So, I guess the point that seems to emerge from all of this rambling is this: Happy Birthday. Thanks for being an inspiration. And rather than make some kind of idle comment like "We need to hang out more," let's look at it this way. You keep doing whatever it is you do. I'll keep doing something. And let's keep not hanging out a whole lot. Seems like it's worked pretty well so far.

Cheers,
- Wayne

No comments:

Post a Comment