Thursday, October 8, 2009

From Keri Hunnicutt

The first time I met Willie, I was really nervous.  He was interviewing me for a position at GroupBaronet, (no space between the words!)  But right there, in that Starbucks, I felt a kindred spirit.  He had a way of making me feel at ease, even though I was the one in the hot seat! 

It was my first "real job." I had babysat all through high school, and I worked as a substitute teacher and waited tables all through college.  Now, with a bachelor's degree in Spanish (and not wanting to teach, ha ha) I didn't know what I wanted to do.  But advertising had always been one of my loves, so I really wanted to dive into the industry.  Willie gave me that chance.

I think God has a way of showing us what we truly desire, and sometimes the longest and hardest way possible.  Uh, wait, we do that to ourselves!  I really love the people I worked with at GroupBaronet.  But the desire to be a teacher never really left me, and the whisper became a shout, which became a calling, if you know what I mean.  Willie was so understanding when I shared this with him.  So, I ended up leaving GB to begin a career in teaching, which led me back to my hometown.  I kept getting lost in Dallas, anyway.  Ha ha.

Willie taught me that "On time is late; early is on time!" I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard.  Then.  I say it to my students now. :)

Willie showed me that you don't have to work on the creative end of the office to be Creative.

Willie taught me that you do it the way the boss asks you to do it because that's the way the boss wants it!  I tell that to my students, too!

Willie once told me, "Do you think maybe that's one reason I hired you?" That still keeps me going today when I get frustrated with other people.

Willie showed me that he cared.  He came to hear me play/sing on more than one occasion, and it meant the world to me.

Willie never said anything bad about anyone.  Not once.  I don't even know if he thinks anything bad about anyone.

Willie loves to laugh.  During work time, during play time - as a matter of fact, I think it's all the same to him because he loves what he does!

Willie is an emotional, deep thinker.  And he can go there in the blink of an eye, but come right back up to surface level to get done what needs to get done.  That taught me a lot about functional behavior in the midst of crisis.

Willie is never "finished." He always wants to improve, or do another project, or attend another weekend retreat... I don't think Willie will ever truly retire because he loves life too much. :)

Willie, I love ya, man.  I hope to see you soon, and I hope this birthday blog is a blessing to you as you read this message and know that my life is different for having known you.

Love,
Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment